The Casting & Tooling Engineer is part of the Grundfos Indianapolis Strategic Purchasing team. Together with a small casting pattern support team, this position is overall responsible for Pattern Management and supporting the sourcing process for all castings. The position works closely with external foundries and is responsible for ensuring that all patterns are well maintained and in a good workable condition, producing high quality castings. The position is also responsible for record keeping and casting pattern tracking, and works together with the tactical casting buyers ensuring patterns are physically located at the foundry where it is needed. Working together with Product Engineering, the Casting & Tooling Engineer takes the lead on development of new pattern equipment and refurbishment of existing patterns.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Full record keeping of casting pattern equipment in the Pattern Management tool, PMATS, including maintenance, location, changes and repair.
- Monitors that all pattern equipment is physically located where needed for production, supporting the Home Foundry principal.
- Initiates and follows-up on movements of pattern equipment between foundries.
- Works closely with foundries to ensure pattern equipment is maintained and in full workable condition.
- Understands foundry processes, and works closely with the Supplier Quality Engineer and foundries to ensure best practice production of high quality products.
- Evaluates castings with deviations to drawings, performs root cause analysis and drives corrective actions towards pattern and foundry process issues.
- Initiates Purchase Orders for repair and refurbishment of pattern equipment as well as new patterns, utilizing the SAP-QP system.
- Provides guidance in the design and development of new pattern equipment using knowledge of best practices.
- Manages the local off-site pattern warehouse, including organization of warehouse storage, accurate record keeping and pattern movement. Liaison with other regional Grundfos sites that stores pattern equipment at the Indianapolis warehouse.
- Leads the process for pattern development and refurbishment, from scope definition, issuing of Purchase Order, through to release for production.
- Assists in annual budget process, by performing risk assessment and pattern condition reviews.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to read, interpret, and understand casting and machining drawings.
- Familiarity with advanced foundry processes, and the design and construction of pattern equipment.
- Understanding of 3-D digital modeling and techniques.
- Must be a team player with strong communication, organizational, and written skills.
- Must possess strong attention to detail, while having a strong sense of urgency.
- 25% travel within the continental US and Mexico. Occasional travel aboard possible.
- Metallurgical knowledge is preferred, not required.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred, not required.
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years of foundry, precision machining, pattern construction, and/or pump experience required
- High School diploma required.
- Bachelor’s degree (Manufacturing or Engineering) preferred.
Grundfos participates in E-verify and is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer
Grundfos is currently moving to a global recruiting system to enhance your user experience. Our new system is already live in Germany and other countries will follow throughout 2017. Due to legislation, we unfortunately cannot transfer existing candidate data to the new system. To keep you updated on opportunities in Grundfos, we kindly ask you to create a talent profile in our new system. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause and hope that you still wish to join our talent pool. Click here for signup.
Please note that if you have already applied for a position, your application will be managed in the system in which you have applied. This means that you do not need to re-enter your application in the new system unless a recruiter contacts you directly in this regard.
Thank you for your interest in Grundfos.